Couponing isn’t exactly something new, and it’s no secret that coupons can save your family money. If you are reading this, then you probably want to save money too. So here’s your guide to couponing for beginners.
While it will take some initial time to build up your stash of coupons, you have the potential to save a TON of money!
Couponing can be a little intimidating at first, but I’ve had the pleasure of teaching thousands of people how to do this and I can tell you that you’ll be saving 70% or more on your groceries in no time.
I want you to think for a minute about what 70% means. If you only spend $200 on groceries, that means that soon, you’ll be spending only $60 to get that same $200 of products, only you’ll be saving the $140 instead.
Yes, putting $140 in your pocket, instead of spending it on groceries.
I hope you realize the impact that can have on your life. Because it means you will have $140 to put towards something else.
If you spend more than $200, then you have even more potential!
Do you want to pay off debt? Go on a nice vacation? Put the money in savings to buy a new car? Or maybe pay for college for your children?
There are endless demands for our money. Spending on groceries doesn’t have to eat up that money because companies give you coupons to use instead of your own cash.
And I’m going to show you exactly how it works and make sure you are successful.
Set Aside Time Every Week
You will be most successful if you can set aside about 1-2 hours each week to prepare your shopping trip and go shopping.
Most likely you are already grocery shopping, so the only change you’ll notice is that you have to shop with strategy, and that takes a little prep work ahead of time.
The reason you need to shop weekly is that different items are at their lowest price each week (we call this the Stock Up Price), you are going to be buying each of those items, every week.
By shopping each week you’ll be building your stockpile while spending the least amount of money. That means soon, you’ll have a full pantry and never need to pay full price for anything.
BONUS FREE DOWNLOAD
Feel Less Stress While Paying Off Debt
Download this FREE Guide to have more peace & less stress while getting out of debt.
Right now, think about a normal day you can go shopping, so you think of it as a schedule.
When my children were little, we would to go church on Wednesday nights (eat dinner at church so that I didn’t have any kitchen clean up) and then once we got home and everyone had their baths and were in bed for the night, I would watch a little tv and clip my coupons. The weekly sale at my local store began on Thursday. By having my coupon trip planned on Wednesday night, I was ready to shop any time during the sale. But I usually planned to shop on Thursday or Friday.
While it may be hard to find an extra slot of time in your already busy schedule, think about it this way. If you save $50 for one hour of work, it’s the same thing as making $50 for an hour of work! Is your time is worth that $50 savings? I’d say so!
Know Where To Look
To be a successful couponer, you need coupons! There are a ton of places to find valuable coupons. No matter where you live, there are a few places you are guaranteed to find coupons. Here are some of the places where you can find coupons:
- Local Newspapers: if you don’t want to pay for a regular subscription, be on the lookout for hot newspaper coupons to make sure you grab a newspaper when there’s a great deal. You can also buy coupon inserts already taken out of the newspaper from an online retailer.
- Store Coupons: You can find these in your Sunday paper, on your store’s bulletin board near the entrance, and sometimes in magazines.
- Coupon Apps: There are so many great couponing apps you can load on your smartphone. My favorites are iBotta and (Fetch Rewards) (Enter my referral code, BQ1CF, during signup and you’ll get 2,000 Fetch Points ($2.00 in points!) when you complete one receipt).
- Coupon Database: A coupon database makes couponing for beginners so much easier! All the coupons you will ever need are all in one place! This coupon database has over 3,000 coupons ready for you to use!
- Coupon Groups: Coupon groups are perfect for finding deal matchups, and keeping up with the latest coupon news.
- Couponing Websites: These days there are a ton of fraudulent coupon websites out there. Coupon fraud is still a very real problem, and committing coupon fraud could put you in jail! When searching for coupons through coupon websites, stick with these to be safe: Coupons.com, Smart Source, Company Websites (such as Kelloggs, etc.), and Savings.com.
If you can stay organized than couponing will be a breeze!
When it comes to organizing your coupons, the key is to find a method that works well for you!
There are a couple of options to choose from, I use the filing method and some of my friends have used the binder method. The binder method can make even the most experienced couponer burn out, so I suggest sticking with the file method as it is easier to manage and maintain.
Start With Just One Store
Before you dive into couponing, it’s best to start small and gradually work your way up to more.
Start by couponing at just your favorite store, then increase your load from there. You should start with a store you know and shop at regularly. This will help you ease into couponing since you’ll already be familiar with the store layout and their policies.
Once you’ve mastered one store, move on to the next! This is probably the best way to start couponing for beginners.
When it comes to couponing for beginners, getting started can be a little bit overwhelming. Once you’ve got your coupons, set aside time for couponing, and have found a way to organize them, all that’s left is to get started!
YOUR TURN: Are you ready to save some serious money? What store are you going to start with? Let me know in the comments below!
More Fun Articles To Read:
Do you know about the Walmart Inventory Checker? If not, let me explain. Have you ever gotten all your coupons ready to get a whole bunch of FREEbies at your local Walmart and you get to the store only to find that they are COMPLETELY OUT of stock?! That...
A lot has happened in the world of couponing over the last 10 years since I started blogging about the topic... if you've been with me for that long, then you may remember back in 2010 when we were regularly getting FREE Marcal Toilet Paper... or maybe you remember...