Sooner or later just about everything goes on sale. Knowing when items are at their lowest prices and buying them before you need them is a shopping technique that can save you hundreds of dollars every year on all kinds of items from groceries to gifts!
May brings BBQ season, National Salad Month and National Pet Week just to name a few. You’ll see sales and coupons to go along with these items and more in May. Stock up while these items are cheap!
Best Things To Buy In May:
From the Grocery Stores
- BBQ Supplies – Gear up for summer parties by stocking up on party supplies at your grocery store…YES, the grocery store! You’ll see sales and coupons to match on things like charcoal, paper plates, condiments, napkins and plastic ware.
- Salad Ingredients – May is National Salad Month! With all the fresh produce coming in season with the warmer months, you’ll find lower prices and sales promotions on all things “salad.”
- Pet Food and Treats – May 4-10, 2014 is National Pet Week. You’ll see lots of sales, promotions and coupons available this week. Stock up for your own pet or buy some extra and donate to a local animal shelter.
In Season Produce
The cheapest produce in stores and at local farmer’s markets is always what’s in season. Here’s a list of in-season fruits and veggies for May:
- Berries (blueberries, strawberries)
- Lettuce (all kinds)
- Peppers (Chile and Sweet)
- Summer Squash
Memorial Day Sales
Every holiday weekend isn’t great for savings, but Memorial Day usually boasts some savings worth waiting for! Look for many sales in stores and online at the end of this month. In years past we have seen 40% off site wide and coupon codes available to stack on top of that for huge online savings.
Spring is the peak time to buy a house! Many sellers will be listing their homes for sale in hopes of moving during the summer when kids are out of school. Buyers will have their best selection now.
You’ll find sales on mattresses here and there throughout the year, but May typically sees the lowest prices of the year.
Late in the year is usually the best time to buy large appliances, but refrigerators are the exception. Last year’s models are on sale now since the new models are on their way.
Spring Cleaning makes for lots of donations this time of year. Shopping at Thrift Stores this month you will find plenty of new inventory with inexpensive treasures waiting to be discovered.
In keeping with our Spring Cleaning theme, the makers of vacuums will be offering sales this month. New model vacuums come out around June so look for great prices now as stores start to clear inventory for new models.
Since May isn’t a big vacation month, cruise-lines will be offering great prices to drum up some business. You’ll have to be a little flexible in your schedule. The best deal might be for a cruise next week as the cruise-lines are looking to fill up all the extra empty space.
With wedding and graduation season around the corner, look for stores to start offering discounts on cookware. It makes a great gift.
What NOT To Buy in May:
Here are a few of the items you’ll want to purchase another time:
- Jewelry – With everyone shopping for Mother’s Day this month, you’ll actually see an increase in jewelry prices.
- Grills – Wait till June for a new grill purchase. Prices are high in early spring.
- Office Furniture – You’ll see some sales on office furniture popping up in May, but if you can wait till June you’ll get the lowest prices!
~ Happy May Bargain Shopping!