Yugoslavian Christmas Cookies
I loved the crunchy nuts and soft meringue with the berry shortbread crust…Mmmmmm!
Plus, the lemon extract adds a little bit of tart that I love so much.
I think you’re gonna love ’em too! Invite a friend over to make them with and get double the pleasure 😀
Ingredients for 9×13 inch pan:
- 1/2 pound – Unsalted Butter, at Room Temperature
- 1/2 Cup – Sugar
- 1 – Egg Yolk, Large (watch…just the yolk)
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt – Salt
- 2 1/2 Cups – All Purpose Flour
- 4 – Large Egg Whites (yes, save the one separated from above)
- 1 Cup – Sugar
- 3/4 Cup – Ground Walnuts
- 1 Teaspoon – Lemon Extract
- 1 Cup – Blackberry Jelly
- 1/4 Cup – Walnuts, Chopped
BONUS FREE DOWNLOAD
Planning Is Key During The Holidays
Here are some FREE Cheat Sheets of pertinent things you don't want to forget to do this coming holiday season.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Cream butter and sugar together thoroughly; add egg yolk and salt and combine.
- Add flour and combine.
- Pat mixture into a 9×13 inch pan.
- Beat egg whites until stiff.
- Gradually add 1 cup sugar.
- Continue to beat until you reach a meringue consistency.
- Gently fold in ground walnuts and lemon extract.
- Spread jelly over dough mixture in pan.
- Swirl meringue over jelly.
- Sprinkle with chopped walnuts.
- Bake for about 40 minutes.
(Recipe from gonnawantseconds.com.)