When Where How What to Buy in July
Sooner or later just about everything goes on sale. Knowing when items are at their lowest prices and buying them before you need them is a shopping technique that can save you hundreds of dollars every year on all kinds of items from groceries to gifts!
July brings sales on swimwear, paint, National Blueberry Month, and lots of in-season produce!
July also brings amazing deals on Back To School supplies so you’ll want to make sure to stock up while these items are cheap! This is the “When Where How” to buy things so that you get the most for your money.
Best Things To Buy In July:
From the Grocery Stores
- National Blueberry Month – July is harvest time for blueberries, so stock up now with the lowest prices of the year! A couple of recipes to try: Strawberry Blueberry Kabobs or Easy Blueberry Crisp.
- National Hot Dog Month – Sales combined with coupons will bring great prices on hot dogs! You can expect to pay $1 or less per pack. Hot dogs freeze well, so stock up now.
- National Ice Cream Month – We’ve already seen some great ice cream coupons on Coupons.com. Expect more and enjoy a cheap, delicious treat with a little less guilt (because you got a deal!!!).
- Sunscreen – Coupons, deals, sales and stackable coupons will allow you to keep your skin protected and your budget in tact. You’ll see great deals on sunscreen continuing from last month.
In Season Produce – The cheapest produce in stores and at local farmers markets is always what’s in season. Here’s a list of in-season fruits and veggies for July (FYI…this month’s list is the same as June):
- Berries (blueberries, strawberries)
- Peppers (Chile and Sweet)
- Summer Squash
School and Office Supplies
It might feel like school just got out, but July will bring rock bottom prices on school and office supplies. Expect such offerings as folders, paper, pencils, pens and more for $1 or less (and sometimes as low as one cent each)! Start now buying only what’s on sale every week, and you’ll be able to stock up on school and office supplies for the whole year!
As soon as the 4th of July holiday is gone, the prices of swimwear begin to fall. Shop right after the 4th for the best selection, but prices will continue to drop through August.
New models are arriving in store for fall, so now is the time to buy that new sofa you’ve been wanting! Don’t be shy about asking if there are any floor models for sale. You can score an even better deal on those!
No one wants to paint in hot weather. Since sales are down this time of year, you’ll see deals on paint of all kinds. Don’t want to paint in the heat? Buy now and save the paint for a fall project.
New styles will be hitting the stores for fall, so grab a deal on a suit now. You’ll see Buy One Get One sales and drastic discounts on suits, coats, button down shirts, ties, belts…anything “dressed up business.” Stock up!
Take advantage of free or discounted movies during the summer! Almost all theaters offer some kind of summer discounts. Simply google “your city” and “free summer movies” and you’ll find several options. It’s a nice way to get out of the heat and spend some time together.
Summer Reading Programs
Need a little help encouraging your kids to read this summer? Check out our list of FREE Summer Reading Programs! There are free reading charts you can download, free books to earn, and your kids can even earn $10 deposited into their bank account.
What NOT To Buy in July:
Here are a few of the items you’ll want to purchase at another time:
- Sandals – I know summer time calls for new sandals, but you’re not going to find any bargains on them until Labor Day. So, buy only what you must for now and save up for a shopping spree in a couple of months.
- Summer Clothes – Buy only what you need right now. Prices on summer clothes won’t drop till the season is almost over.
- Patio Furniture – Peak season to use it is NOT peak season to buy it! You will see prices on patio furniture drop after the 4th of July, but wait till August and September for rock bottom prices.
~ Happy July Bargain Shopping!