Baking goodies to give as gifts can really help stretch your Christmas budget.
Not only can you give more, but you also get to spend time in the kitchen with your family making new memories each year.
Shortbread cookies are among my favorite.
These are lightly sweet and pair perfectly with a cup of coffee. Ah…one of life’s little pleasures!
This recipe makes about 100 cookies, making it perfect to divide up into several gifts for friends, teachers, pet groomers, mail carriers, and all the special people who help us throughout the year.
Whipped Shortbread Cookies
- 3 cups butter, softened
- 1 1/2 cups confectioners' sugar, sifted
- 4 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups cornstarch
- Nonpareils, halved candied cherries or other "topping"
- In a large bowl, cream butter and confectioners' sugar until light and fluffy. Gradually add flour and cornstarch, beating until well blended.
- With hands lightly dusted with additional cornstarch, roll dough into 1-in. balls. Place 1 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Press lightly with a floured fork. Top with nonpareils or cherry halves.
- Bake at 300° for 20-22 minutes or until bottoms are lightly browned. Cool for 5 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks. Yield: 16-18 dozen.
Copyright 2014 TrueCouponing, LLC. All rights reserved.