When Where How What to Buy in September
Sooner or later just about everything goes on sale. Knowing when items are at their lowest prices and buying them before you need them is a shopping technique that can save you hundreds of dollars every year on all kinds of items from groceries to gifts! This is the “When Where How” to buy things so that you get the most for your money.
The month of September brings summer to an end, but it also brings us deals in the form of Summer Clearance sales. Here are some items to put on your shopping list this month.
Best Things To Buy in September:
National Events in September
- September is National Coupon Month
Look for LOTS of new coupons to come out this month from sources like newspapers, in-store coupon booklets, sales flyers and printable coupons.
- September 19th – Talk Like a Pirate Day
Ahoy there, Mateys! You’ll want to talk and dress like a Pirate then head over to Krispy Kreme on this day. Talking like a pirate gets you a free doughnut. Dressing like a pirate will get you a free dozen! It’s time to start practicing your pirate phrases!
- September 29th – National Coffee Day
Mark your calendars now for a FREE cup o’ Joe! In years past several establishments have given away free coffee on this day including 7-11, Caribou Coffee, Dunkin Donuts, Waffle House, Wawa, Krispy Kreme and more. We’ll have all the freebies listed on TrueCouponing.com, so be sure to check back!
From the Grocery Stores
- Lunchbox Items – Back to school sales are winding down, but stores will still have some lunch-sized items on sale this month with coupons to match. Look for low prices on lunch-meats, boxed/pouch juices, yogurt, snack size chips and crackers, peanut butter, and more.
- Tomato Products – This time of year brings sales on all things “tomato” including canned tomatoes, tomato sauce, spaghetti sauce and even tomato soup.
In Season Produce
The cheapest produce in stores and at local farmer’s markets is always what’s in season. Here are September’s in-season fruits and veggies:
- Brussels Sprouts
- Green beans
- Star fruit
Summer Clearance Sales
This is the time of year stores start clearing out summer items to make way for the next season’s hot sale items. Get the best prices of the year on these items on summer clearance now:
- Summer Clothes – shorts, tank tops, t-shirts, sandals, swimsuits
- Patio Furniture – tables, chairs, chaise lounges, fire pits, umbrellas, wicker and more
- Grills – gas, electric, charcoal
- Lawn Mowers – push and riding
- Gardening Equipment – rakes, shovels, flower pots, water hoses and more
- Pool Equipment – cleaning equipment, floats and toys
Next month the new 2015 models will be arriving at dealerships. They are looking to clear out their 2014 inventory to make way for the inventory already on it’s way. Brush up on your negotiating skills and head to a dealership this month for the best prices of the year!
School supplies go on sale starting in late July, but the deals are still going strong in September! Try to purchase everything you’ll need for the whole school year now. School supplies prices go up after this month!
If your end of year holiday plans call for travel, now is the time to book your trip. Airline tickets and hotels will start increasing in price as the end of the year approaches. Book early for the best rates!
Right now you can get smaller 32 inch HDTVs for around $170 (check out Walmart.com and BestBuy.com). That’s better than Black Friday prices! If you’re shopping for a larger HDTV, you’ll need to hold off on that purchase for another couple of months.
Kitchen and Houseware Items
Now that students are back in college and the dorm rooms are stocked, stores will be clearing out any items targeted at college shoppers. Look for great prices on these items:
- Linens – sheets, towels, wash cloths
- Small furniture – small chairs, ottomans, wastebaskets, end tables, beanbag chairs
- Decorative items – throw pillows, rugs, wall-hangings, mirrors
What NOT To Buy in September:
Here are a couple of the items you’ll want to purchase another time:
- Camping and Hiking Equipment – Things like sleeping bags, tents and lanterns will be on sale in October, so hold off just a little longer if you need to purchase these items.
- Toys – Next month retailers will be clearing out the toy aisles to make room for the latest Christmas toys. October will be a good time to stock up on birthday and Christmas gifts.
~ Happy September Shopping!